Vaginal steaming helps in keeping away vaginal infections including yeast infection, bacterial and fungal infections. It is an ancient treatment technique that is used to empower, beautify, cleanse, tone, heal and rejuvenate the vagina. It is an all-natural and a very simple method that combines the powers of heat, steam, water and herbs. It has been used by women for a very long time now around the world.
Continue reading below for advantages, disadvantages, how to do vaginal detox or steaming at home and what to know.
What is vaginal steaming/detox? It is commonly considered to be a vaginal detox method. The act looks and sounds like a bit alien or odd but it is rather part of holistic body care that does not neglect any part of your body.
It often compared to body detoxes and facial scrubs. It has gained popularity among women of all ages who carry out the practice for different reasons.
The tissues of the vagina are exceptionally porous and absorbent, and the warmth of the steam works to soften and open them.
How does vaginal steaming, detox technique work?
- How does vaginal steaming, detox technique work?
- Vaginal steaming at home
- More approaches on how to do vaginal steaming at home
- What women need to know about vaginal steaming /vaginal detox
- Treatment and after care
- Advantages vaginal steaming
- Disadvantages of vaginal steaming
The vaginal steaming works to have a health impact through a mechanism. First of all, it increases blood circulation to the pelvis, bringing more oxygen to this part of the body and thereby relaxing the pelvic floor muscles. According to the traditional Chinese medicine, it helps with the symptoms of coldness and stagnation in the body.
When herbs are placed in hot water, their medicinal properties, including volatile oils are released and carried to the surface of your skin and then inside the vagina. They are absorbed and in turn find their way into the uterus.
How and where can you go about vaginal steaming?
The vaginal steaming can be done at spas that keep following the current trends in the world. On the other hand, you could do it yourself at home because the process is quite simple to start, follow and execute the end.
The process can also be effectively done using a combination of some herbs. All you need to do is consult with your herbalist for advice.
Advantages of vaginal steaming
Is it of any essence if undertaken, Well – There no scientific information that supports the effectiveness of vaginal steaming but it has been shown to have the following benefits:
- Reduces bladder and yeast infections
- Helps in dealing with vaginal cysts
- Helps to deal with hemorrhoids
- It is an option in dealing with infertility
- Reduces the effects of irregular and painful periods
- Useful in uterine fibroids
- Helpful in perennial tears
- Reduces the scarring tissue in caesarian section
- It is useful in hysterectomies and laparoscopy
You may also like; Yellow discharge after period
Vaginal steaming at home
The process of vaginal detoxification by steaming differs from one place to another depending on the locally available resources. The following outline gives the Mayan vaginal steam clean. Other simpler and better processes are also available. The process takes up a ritual format.
1. First of all, collect herbs to be used in the entire technique.
Any herbs that you can drink can be used in the steam bath. As you are collecting the herbs be very clear on the intention for healing and send out a prayer. You will need 4 cups of herbs if using them fresh and 1 cup if using them dried.
2. Secondly, you should brew the herbs
To do this the following procedure is very key:
- Add the herbs to a pot with about 4 liters of water and bring the water to a soft boilfor about 5 minutes.
- Then steep (no more heat) the brew for about 10 minutes withthe lid on.
3. The next thing to do is take a sitting position:
Find a chair which has a slatted or open bottom. Something like a wicker chair, a garden chair, or a camping toilet. Seal the base with towels so that the steam does not escape and is channeled upwards. Cover yourself in a blanket to make sure you are warm.
Then when the temperature is right, sit on the chair. You might need to sit and then hop up a few times until you find the right temperature – you do not want to burn your tender places.
4. Finally, having gone through the above process, ensure you relax
Stay and relax here for about 20 minutes, internationalizing, praying for healing, and meditating. When you have finished, stay warm, take your time, maybe meditate some more. Take it easy.
5. What should you be cautious about?
A word of caution is that you should not steam cleanse when you have your period, are pregnant or if you have any internal vaginal contraceptive or medical devices. Seek professional advice if you are not sure. Also, do not use essential oils.
More approaches on how to do vaginal steaming at home
Alternatively, the outline below provides a different approach to the vaginal steaming that might not be similar to the ritual way of doing it:
You will need the materials below:
- A slatted chair or modified stool/chair to let steam through. Preferably made of natural materials such as wood, canvas, or bamboo.
- 2 large natural fiber blankets. Wool or cotton are preferred.
- A large stainless steel stock pot, large enough to boil a gallon of water. You may also want a large ceramic or Pyrex bowl to pour the hot water and herbs into. Do not use a cracked bowl, the hot water may split the bowl more.
- Herbs of choice. A cup of dried herb, or a quart mason jar loosely filled with fresh herbs.
Steps on how to do vaginal steaming at home:
- To begin, place your chair, blanket, and whatever else you may want in a location that will be comfortable. Place a cutting board under the chair, or place chair on a tile floor. Have a glass of water, music, reading material set up in advance. Be sure you are wearing a long skirt, no underwear, and a warm natural fiber top.
- That done, boil 1 gallon of water with 1 cup herb mixture for 10 minutes. Continue to steep off of the stove for an additional 5 minutes. If transferring to a ceramic bowl, do so now. Place pot or bowl under the chair/stool.
- After that, test how hot the steam is. Put the inside ofyour forearm over the steam to test. Rememberyour genitals are very sensitive to heat, you do notwant to burn them! Do not sit down until thesteam is comfortable for you.
- Having done that, sit down. Be sure you are not wearingunderwear and none of your clothing is hanging inthe pot.
- Cover your entire lower half, all the way to theground with the first blanket. Make a tent allaround the chair, to keep the steam in.
- Wrap the second blanket around the upper halfof your body. Keep it wrapped around you, staywarm.
- Steam for 20-30 minutes.
- Keep warm, go to bed for 1 hour vaginal steam is best done every two weeks whenused for treating a fertility issue. For generalfertile vitality (preventative maintenance), Vaginal steam baths are best done twice a year. Give youryoni some love, treat her to a Vaginal Steam.
To increase the absorption and effects of the herbs, you can do a self-massage on your abdomen using either your hand or a vibrator.
What women need to know about vaginal steaming /vaginal detox
Vaginal steaming also called v steaming can also be done using a mixture of steaming water and vinegar, baking soda or iodine.
- It can be used to detoxify the womb after child birth among other uses like tightening vaginal openings, minimizing vaginal odor and helping with vaginal and urinary tract infections.
The information available does not point out clear where the technique originates but the ancient Greeks, Mayans, Koreans and Indonesians were well known for the technique. In Korea, the practice is called chai-yok.
In Central America, vaginal cleaning is known as bajo and ganggang in Indonesia.
- It is good to know that vaginal steaming or detox has been used, tested and approved by generations before us.
- This practice has been inherited over time from one generation to the other. Today, it has the incredible potential to significantly improve every woman’s experience of her beautiful body.
It also good to know that the women who may benefit from a vaginal steam would be those with the following conditions: uterine fibroids, painful menstruation, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse, irregular menstrual cycles, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, reproductive adhesion/scar tissue, previous vaginal tear or episiotomy, and dark purple or brown blood at the onset or end of menses.
- The treatment is also called yoni steaming (yoni is a Sanskrit word for womb, vagina). The treatment is used to effectively reduce discomforts that are associated with menstruation in women within the children bearing age. However, the practice goes far from just beauty to as far as treatment and helps you to gain the confidence of good and robust health.
Medicinal herbs used in vaginal steaming increase the circulation of blood, thin mucus and cleanse the entire reproductive system, allowing it to shed unnecessary membranes and buildup. In so doing, you are able to support the uterus reducing the amount of work it has to do and hence your discomfort.
- Please take a lot of care not to try vaginal steaming if you have a genital infection. This is because the infection might find its way into the womb and then cause even more complications. Pregnant women should as much as possible avoid vaginal steaming when pregnant as some herbs are likely to induce labor. If you doubt anything, always feel free to consult a gaenacologist.
It is also good to be aware that v steaming is done 2 to 3 days after a monthly period. The session of the treatment should take an average time of from 20 to 45 minutes
- Some of the common herbs used in vagina steaming include basil calendula oregano, marshmallow root, wormwood and rosemary. Keep in mind the herbs you use and do not add anything that could give you unforeseen allergies.
The herbs used in the preparation of a steam all have individual roles to play and that is why they can be used in combinations. For instance, the herbs below:
It works to increase circulation to the reproductive organs, aids in clearing out of old fluids, is also antiseptic and purifying.
It is one of the most relaxing herbs, calms the mind and body. Nourishing to the nervous system. Lavender is antiseptic to the vaginal tissues. It is also an antispasmodic, aiding in healthy uterine function.
It is used to bring on menses. Increases scanty flow. This herb is used for its antiseptic, stimulating and strengthening qualities. Oregano is a wonderful herb for aiding in prevention of infection.
The particular species Tagetes erecta is used to induce perspiration, cleansing of the vaginal tissues. It is also healing to wounds. Calendula officinalis aids in the healing of tight scarred tissues of the labia and perenium due to episiotomy, or vaginal tear. You should be careful not to use steam on an open wound, this could cause pain and swelling.
This one can work to reduce painful menstruation. It helps to bring on menstruation.
5. Rose petals:
These particular parts of the flower are gentle and astringent to tissues of the genitals. Rose is a relaxing and uplifting herb.
6. Mugwort (also known as Artemisia vulgaris)
It contains natural antibiotic and antifungal properties which allow it to fight infection. It is used in Chinese medicine particularly during acupuncture treatments through a process called moxibustion. It causes uterine contractions and helps speed up the healing processes in the body.
- The steam opens the pores and allows it to penetrate into the blood stream. It balances female hormones and stimulates the production of hormones that help to maintain uterine health as well as protect the uterus from things such as ulcers and tumors.
In addition, mugwort helps to stimulate menstrual discharge, ease headaches, nausea, fatigue and cramping. Mugwort can also be orally consumed through a tea.
7. Wormwood (also known as Artemisia herbal)
Has natural antibacterial and antiviral properties and has been used throughout history to treat a large variety of ailments from bladder infections to eczema. This herb relaxes the blood vessels and promotes detox within the body by encouraging the discharge of bile.
- It is best used by women who have chronic bacterial and / or viral vaginal infections. The active component of wormwood is artemisinin, which can be neurotoxic so only use small amounts of this herb if you use it at all.
Some health experts have made attempts to come up with findings that there some risks that may come with the use of this technique. If it is not administered in the correct way, it can lead to rapture of the natural flora of the vagina and also cause burns.
- Similarly, many gaenacologists have come to believe that the process can topple and interfere with the bacteria of the vagina, which is charged with the roles of cleaning the vaginal area. This would be a predisposition to unforeseen infections.
Vaginal steaming has been considered in some communities to be a ritual. For some women, this means escaping the kids for a while. It also is a good way improves and come into touch with reality of the womb health.
Treatment and after care
The most important thing that you ought to do is be careful in the 24 hours that follow the steaming, to protect your entire body from cold drafts. Also, keep warm so that you can avoid sudden temperature changes that may accompany the process.
- On the other hand, after the elapse of the 24 hours, proper vaginal hygiene should be observed and if need be, visit the gaenacologist as regular as you can for proper checkup and maintenance of the flora of the vagina.
You could also repeat the vaginal steaming from time to time. The process therefore does not require much caution once you have undertaken it safely to the end.
Advantages vaginal steaming
The best thing with this method is that it is not very inexpensive. It can be done at home with the use of locally available resources. The procedures involve oils that are very cheap to acquire and use in the long run.
- The other thing is that the procedure involved is very easy to follow. The procedure can be explained even to a lay man who can follow to the latter.
The technique has existed in the world for long now and therefore passed from one generation to the next. Vaginal cleaning does not require specialized training as it can be a do it yourself procedure.
- The other advantage is that the process is widely used and has very few side effects in the long run. There are no much medical conditions that could be brought about by the use of the methods.
More benefits are incurred compared to the harmful effects that come by. If care is taken while performing the process, then you are likely to accrue full benefits.
Disadvantages of vaginal steaming
Below are some risks involved during vaginal steaming that one should look at:
1. First of all, it is likely that steam can cause burns
The very initial concern and awareness you ought to have is that you would burn yourself because steam is hot. Consequently, you would not want to get a burn in your vagina.
It is factual that your vagina sits right next to the bladder and rectum, so a bad burn could damage the lining between the two of them and cause a lot of issues. The truth of the matter is that this would be the worst experience.
2. The other unlikely occurrence is that steam can mess with your vagina’s good bacteria
Just like regular douching, trying to “cleanse” your vagina with steam can be drying and disrupt the natural bacteria that lives up in there. And since the vagina is a self-cleaning machine, you don’t need to take any action to keep it that way.
- However, one thing you could do to boost your vagina’s natural cleaning abilities is to eat more yogurt, which contains the good bacteria that keep your vagina fresh yeast infection-free.
It is also questionable how the steam can cleanse the uterus since it’s hard to say whether the steam could actually reach that far. Even if it could, there are very few bacteria in the lining of the uterus and that those bacteria absolutely do not need to be cleaned out.
3. All and above, the steam is not in a position to balance any hormones in the body.
This is by the simple fact that there are no hormones produced by the uterus or the vagina. The hormone factory is in the ovaries, and there is no reason why steam would affect the hormones produced there. To add on that, it is hard to say if the steam even makes it that far.
This therefore implies that the carrying out of this technique should occur under very controlled and careful conditions as any deviation would bring about a total mess and disruption of so many normal processes of the body.
You should also consult with the experts to avoid the side effects and the negativities that may come by as a result.
Here is a video showing one simple way of vaginal steaming;
Reference and Sources;