Skin tag on labia are not caused by sexually transmitted diseases neither are they related to skin cancer. A skin tag is best described as harmless benign growths on the Skin. Let’s look at causes and how to get rid of skin tags on vag lips fast. We will also discuss how to remove vaginal skin tags permanently.
Skin tag on labia is any woman’s nightmare. Nobody wants to have to have ugly bumps on the genitalia. Bumps on the genital area are usually associated with underlying health issues like sexually transmitted diseases or cancer
These are the thoughts that run through someone’s mind the moment they notice an odd bump on their genitalia. However, it is relieving to know that skin tags are not serious health issues. You would only want to get rid of them coz of the embracement of having ugly bumps on your bikini area.
What is a skin tag?
Skin tags are excess growth on the skin that hangs loosely as stems of oddly shaped flesh that take the colour of the skin but may turn black when they are injured or about to fall off after treatment. These tags can grow as big as 5 mm.
They are made of collagen and are surrounded by blood vessels that feed them with blood. The scientific name of skin tags is acrochordon. Skin tags can develop on any part of the body; the groin area, breast eyelids, nose, armpits and arms. They are not harmful to your health and neither are they cancerous. They are also definitely not an indication of an underlying health issue.
Skin tags have no health related symptoms however they can be caused by certain medical conditions among their causes. People with weight issues, skin folds or subject their skin to constant friction by wearing tight underwear are likely to get skin tags on labia.
Skin tags on labia mean that collagen fibres and blood vessels that are near the skin have teamed up to form a bump of flesh that hangs off the skin.
According to NHS, “Skin tags are small, soft, skin-coloured growths that hang off the skin and look a bit like warts. They’re very common, harmless, and can vary in colour and size – from a few millimetres up to 5cm (about 2 inches) wide. Skin tags are usually found on the neck, armpits, around the groin, or under the breasts.”
The following are the main causes of skin tags on the labia;
Fluctuation in hormonal levels
Hormonal levels in women tend to shift to different levels from time to time. The main causes of hormonal imbalances in women is menstruation , pregnancy or use of medicine that interfere with hormonal levels.
Skin tag on vag lip during pregnancy
Pregnant women experience hormonal imbalance for the entire pregnancy period do they are likely to develop skin tags. Menstruation only happens for a few days but this does not mean they won’t trigger a skin tag on labia. Some medication like contraceptive pills or emergency pills also cause hormonal shifts that may last for several months before the balance is restored.
Friction on the skin on Labia
Friction is a force that causes wear and tear between two dry surfaces. The skin on the labia is folded in ward s and they may tend to meet and rub against each other and result into ski tags. Your skin may also rub against your partner during sexual intercourse with no proper lubrication.
Wearing tight underwear that are made from non-cotton fabric are likely to cause friction on yurt skin when you move round. This is why women are always encouraged to wear comfortable cotton underwear and avoid G-strings and thongs.
Increase in body weight is associated with formation of skin tags on the body. Additonal weight on the groin area causes skin tags. The labia majora and labia minora may become too fleshy especially for pregnant women since they add significant weight all over.
Obese people have got flesh hanging lose hence they are subjected to more friction .as you seek treatment for your skin tag, you should also look into ways of shading off excess weight.
Some women get skin tags on their labia from their genetic factors. Mothers who have skin tags on their labia are likely to give birth to children who have skin tags. People who have a family history of skin tags are likely to develop these tags on any part of their body including the vagina5.
Diabetes Mellitus which is also known as diabetes type two is a disease caused by high blood sugar levels due to lack of insulin in the body. It comes along with so many health conditions including skin tags which can develop on any part of the body including the lips of the labia (labia majora and labia minor)
A lot of skin deformities come with old age. The skin wrinkles more and gets fractioned easily because it is drier .Old women are likely to get skin tags on their bodies as compared to young women.
Skin tags on labia are usually benign .This means that they are not cancerous and are not harmful to your health at all. They are just uncomfortable but do not interfere with your health in any way. However, there are other overgrowths in the skin that may look like skin tags but ideally are not skin tags but malignant cells. Skin tags should not be painful, bleed or have any complications .The following are the abnormalities to look out for;
- Sore skin tag on labia
- Skin tag on labia that does not take the colour of the skin. Especially black colour is a cause for alarm
- Itchy skin tags on labia
- Swollen, red and very painful skin tag on labia.
Ensure you visit a gynaecologist as soon as you notice any of these on your labia. Cervical cancer is fatal.
No, skin tags on labia are not contagious. They are caused by friction and may even be inherited from parents. If your partner has got skin tag then you should not be afraid of skin contacts. People treat them for cosmetic purpose and to boost their self-esteem. You should only get worried about skin tags if they exhibit any ding of the abnormalities shown above.
Difference between skin tag on labia and genital warts
Sexually transmitted diseases manifest in all sorts of symptoms especially around the groin area. Human Papilloma Virus HPV is sexually transmitted diseases that is characterised by bumps on the skin that look like skin tags.
They are called genital warts and are in the shape of cauliflower that sits on the skin. Skin tags on the other hand are smooth and hang off the skin. According to Mayo Clinic,” As the name suggests, genital warts affect the moist tissues of the genital area. Genital warts may look like small, flesh-coloured bumps or have a cauliflower-like appearance. In many cases, the warts are too small to be visible.”
Skin tags can be mistaken for genital warts and vice versa but it is important to know the difference. Skin tags are not caused by any microorganism and cannot be transmitted sexually. Genital warts are contagious while skin tags are not. Skin tags are treated removed for cosmetic purpose while HPV needs to be treated because it affects your health.
Home remedies for skin tag on Labia
Skin tags on labia are often removed clinically; however there are selective home remedies that can be used to get rid of these tags. Most of them are friendly t the vagina and any spillage does not pose a threat to your health. However you are still advised to take caution while using any of these remedies on your vaginal area since the skin on the labia is very sensitive.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has natural effective antifungal properties. It is also a good natural antioxidant. It is an ideal remedy for removing sin tags and preventing secondary infection on skin tags that have been cut. However, the tree oil can be very harsh to the skin so you need to mix it with essential oils like coconut oil in order to neutralize the effect.
How to use tea tree oil to get rid of skin tag on labia naturally
- Take a bath and clean the affected area, ensure you pat dry
- Dip a tampon in the tea tree oil
- Dab the tampon soaked in tea tree oil over the skin tag
- Let it soak on the skin tags for 10 minutes
- You may then wash off the oil
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has got wonderful properties such as anti-inflammatory and antibacterial hence no infection can develop on the sin tag. It will dry off the skin tag and make it fall off eventually.
What you need
- Apple cider vinegar
- Clean water
What to do
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water in the ration of 1:10 and fill your bathtub with it
- Soak your body in this water
- If you don’t have a bathtub, then you can pour the water in a basin and sit on it for half an hour.
- Repeat this process every morning and evening.
- Alternatively, mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with drinking water and consume it once a day.
- You can also soak tampon with diluted apple cider vinegar and apply it directly on the skin tag on labia.
- Let the vinegar soak the tag for 1o to 15 minutes
- Wash it off and dry your skin using a clean piece of cloth
Garlic is also an antibacterial agent hence prevents secondary infection. Garlic extract will dry up the skin tag and make it all off after turning black due to lack of blood supply to the collagen.
You may get the following
- Garlic cloves
- A Pestle & a mortar
- A Knife
- Olive oil
- Clean water
- A clean piece of cloth
How to use it at home
- Peel off the back cover of garlic cloves
- Dice them into cubes using a knife
- Place them in the mortar
- Pound with a pestle to form a paste
- Add olive oil to the paste
- Apply the paste on the skin tag on labia
- Let it settle for 20 minutes then wash it off in order to get rid of the smell of garlic.
- Dry your skin with a clean piece of cloth
- Repeat this twice a day
Natural fresh Aloe Vera is used for several skin conditions including skin tags. They sooth the skin and prevent secondary infection. Aloe Vera will dry up the skin tag hence make it easy for it to fall off on its own. It also prevents infection on the skin from where the tag has fallen off.
How to use aloe Vera to get rid of skin tag on labia naturally
- Cut about tree Aloe Vera leaves to extract the gel out of them
- The aloe gel should be a clear liquid that is thick any other colored liquid should be ignored
- If it is too thick, mix it with just a little water and stir it in a container to make it light
- Dub a cotton in t and apply it on the tags.
- Let it soak the skin tag for about 20 minutes before you wash it of the skin.
Oregano oil has antifungal properties. Just like tea tree oil, it will also It works under the same principle as tea tree oil. You may consider diluting it with some olive oil or coconut oil since it is known to be strong especially on people with delicate skin
Here is how to use it at home to get rid of skin tags
- You may take a bath and pat the skin tags dry
- Add six table spoons of oregano oil in a clean container
- Add 3 tablespoons of coconut oil or olive oil and mix to dilute it
- Apply the mixture on the tags using a clean cotton bud
- You may wash it off after 10-20 minutes
- Repeat as often as you can or even 2 times day for good results
Coconut oil is an essential oil that soothes the skin and removes skin tags on labia. It is friendly to the vagina hence recommended as one of the best remedies. The tags will wither and fall off with time.
- Coconut oil
- Clean water
- A clean piece of cloth
- Ensure that your vagina is clean and dry
- Soak a tampon with the coconut oil
- Gently apply the coconut oil using the soaked tampon on the skin tag.
- Let the oil mixture settle 30 minutes before you wash it off
You may also look at:
Skin tag on labia is a skin condition that does not pose any risk to your health. Treatment and removal of these tags are quiet expensive and are done for cosmetic puproses.ost of them involve surgery because the vagina is a very sensitive organ.
You can also perform some of the treatment methods at home on your own but it is not advisable. In fact, your doctor will advise you to only get rid of the e skin tag on labia if only it is causing discomfort. The following are the best methods that can be used to get rid of these tags.
This simply means tying off the skin tag. The skin tag is tied off at the base using a string or dental floss. This will cut off the blood supply to the vessels and kill of the skin tag. With time, it will fall off from the tied base. This is the best method because it has no side effects and no chemicals get into the vagina to alter the pH.
This is the cheapest method of removing skin tags and can even be done at home but you should let a professional do it under much sterilized conditions. It is very easy to get a secondary infection while doing this so you need to be really careful. The following are method of doing it.
What you need
- Antibacterial soap
- Clean water
- Clean towel
- Hot water
- A tight tin
- A clean piece of cloth
- A pair of Scissors
- Dental floss
- Ice cubes
- Methylated spirit
How to cut skin tags (This process should be done by a doctor if possible)
- Dip all the tools you need to use in hot water in order to sterilize them (scalpel, scissors or dental floss). If possible, use a container that has a lead to ensure maximum sterilization.
- Clean your hand and the tags or simply take a bath while waiting for the equipment to sterilize.
- You may get a clean small face towel, wrap some ice cubes in it and apply it on the skin tags. This is to make the tags go numb so that it is less painful when you cut them off
- Get the sterilized scissor or surgical blade, and pat it dry. Use methylated spirit to re-sterilize them. Hold the skin tag and gently cut it at the base.
- Once again, wrap ice cubes on a clean piece of cloth and place them on the skin tag in order to numb the pain.
- Apply antiseptic. The only problem is that the chemicals in the antiseptic will interfere with the pH level of your vagina.
- Keep the area clean and dry to avoid secondary infection. Wash your hands and your skin as often as possible using antibacterial soap.
This is a clinical treatment method of skin tag on labia. It simply means freezing of the tags until they wither and fall off. Freezing of these tags is done using liquid nitrogen gas .The liquid nitrogen gas will kill off the blood capillaries that supply blood to the collagen fibres and kill off the tags. They will turn colour into black and fall off after a fortnight.
Remember, the vagina is a very sensitive organ hence this procedure should only be done by a professional doctor. Your doctor will have the right tools to contain the liquid nitrogen over the skin tag and prevent it from spilling into the vagina.
You may end up putting off one fire and starting another fire if you are not carefully. However, you skin is expected to redden bit but just for a short while.
This is also a clinical procedure for getting rid of skin tag on labia. It simply means burning off the skin tag. It is ideal for large tags. The skin tag can be burned off strong laser beams, chemicals or heat form electric current. The laser light, chemical or current is passed over the tag in a careful way.
The heat will destroy the blood capillaries and then the skin tag will turn black and fall off after few days. The process is painful and scary hence the patient is always given anaesthesia.